Per usual, I’m 3 years late to a fashion trend. Or maybe I was 10 years early, but I’ll get to that. It’s not that I haven’t been paying attention to the white sneaker trend popping up all over the place, but I’m not a fan of how I’ve seen them styled. I’ve never once seen them worn with a sundress, skirt or some other feminine ensemble and thought, “you know, those slightly dingy sneakers looks better than a strappy sandal or ballet flat.” Take for instance Elsa Hosk’s outfit here. She’s ethereal and elegant like only a Swedish supermodel can be, but just no. I can’t with the shoes.
I can occasionally make an exception to my no-sneaker-and-dress rule whenever I see a pair of Converse styled with a shirt dress, but that’s it. Never have I ever thought sneakers + dresses/skirts paired well together.
With all that said, I do like white sneakers paired with a pair of jeans and t-shirt. At the beginning of every school year from junior high to my senior year of high school, I’d purchase a brand new crisp pair of white Tommy Hilfiger tennis shoes. Those, a pair of jeans and a Hilfiger shirt were my school uniform. #TommyGirl
Fast forward to now and I haven’t bought white sneakers in years. Flip-flops and boat shoes replaced my need for a casual shoe. However, with a toddler running around now and my growing intolerance of flip-flops, I’m planning to give into this trend–which isn’t actually a trend at all. I’ll be taking the princess route, though.
I’m extremely picky when it comes to shoes. After reading lots of reviews (and trying to find a pair that don’t look like mall walkers), here are the ones I’m currently mulling over:
- Converse – I think I’m only person on the planet who does not and has never owned a pair of Converse. Even my mom owns a pair!
- Adidas – I’m not going to lie. I’m basic and like these because of the rose gold.
- Superga – To further prove how basic I am, I like these because they’re the same pair Kate Middleton is wearing.
- Vince Camuto – I totally dig slip-on shoes in any form. I also like that these are slightly different from the rest.
- Sperry – My beloved Sperry’s! I’ve almost purchased these a handful of times, but haven’t pulled the trigger just yet. They somewhat remind me of Keds and the geriatric set. At the same time, they’re Sperry’s!
- Tom’s – Equal parts hideous and fabulous, I had to include a pair of Tom’s for consideration.
- Tretorn – Similar to the Vince Camuto pair, I like that these are different than the rest. The netting is an interesting feature.
- Nike – I’ve worn all kinds of tennis shoes over the years, and none–NONE–are more comfortable than Nikes. They just aren’t. I’m actually eyeing these in the black/white combo, but like the white on white, too.
So what about you? Do you have any of the above? Any recommendations for me?
Update: I ended up purchasing this pair of Sperry Crest Vibe Sneakers. They are extremely similar to #5, but have a slightly different cut around the ankle. I love them! They are comfortable (no blisters!) and look super cute. I sprayed them with Scotchgard since they are a white canvas. No stains thus far. I ended up purchasing Sperry’s since I’ve owned several pair of Sperry boat shoes over the years and have always been happy with them.