Happy New Year! To begin 2017 here at Style Emulator, I wanted to feature the interior designer who has most influenced my personal style. I first happened across Lauren Liess back in 2013 when my husband and I had just purchased our home. Coming across her work was a pivotal moment for me as her style helped define and refine my own. The way Lauren Liess designs elegant spaces that are infused with nature, collected with beautiful pieces, and relaxed and sophisticated at the same time constantly leaves me inspired.
Not only is her work exquisite (I’ve yet to come across a space of hers I don’t like) , her book has been very educational for me. In designing my house, I’ve turned to it countless times to see what type of rug I should buy for a certain space, or how many patterns or textures I should use in a specific room. I’m a little embarrassed to admit this, but during decorating conundrums (of which there are many in my double a-frame house full of sloped ceilings and oddly shapes rooms). I’ve often asked myself, “what would Lauren Liess do here?”
I could wax lyrical about her all day (obviously), but I’ll stop and leave you with the living room from one of her previous houses. I’ve tried to emulate this look in my own home, and here’s how you can emulate it in yours:
- Couch // One Kings Lane – I’m fairly certain that Lauren’s couch is custom made. If that’s not in the cards for you, this clean slip covered couch looks similar to hers.
- Rug // Overstock – I’ve seen Lauren use traditionally designed rugs such as this in many of her spaces.
- Bust // Amazon – This phrenology bust adds to the ambiance of the room. And how enlightened and cosmopolitan would you feel with a bust in your living room? See more options below.
- Chandelier // AHAlife – This is case in point why Lauren is so masterful with her designs. I’d never think to put a sputnik chandelier in this space. But she does and it’s perfect.
- Pillow // Pier 1 – Home girl loves her ferns.
- Coffee table // CB2 – This acrylic coffee table emulates the original.
- Side table // Target – I’m two clicks away from ordering this table. I only discovered it after purchasing a different one. Naturally. (Update: I did end up purchasing this for my living room. I love it! The slates on the shelves are different colors which wasn’t obvious to me from the picture. But, they have a distressed look so I’m a fan.)
- Art // Etsy – Abstract art for the mantle.
- Tray // Off 5th – This olive wood tray mimics the original. Here are some wood bead strands you can set on top.
- Driftwood // Amazon – This sculpture adds to the warm, rustic vibe of the room.
- Leather couch // Urban Outfitters – I love, love, love Lauren’s leather couch. This is a great alternative.
- Pillow // Amazon – This earthy pillow brings a contrasting pattern into the mix.
I’ve wanted a bust for a while now (#sophisticated), so naturally I had to round some up. I’m eyeing the gold man, the horse, and the pretty lady on the upper right. But I’d honestly take any of them!