A contemporary country farmhouse in the heart of Los Angeles. When I read that title over on Elle Decor, my interest was instantly piqued. My first thought was, “what does LA know about farmhouses?” My second was, “Apparently a lot.”
It turns out LA does know a little about farmhouses. As with all things California, they just do it a little different. A little more cool. A little more eclectic. And a little more butch, apparently. The owner’s instructions to the designer, Jeffrey Alan Marks, was to create a “rock-and-roll farmhouse”. That meant no buffalo check, shabby chic, or other homely touches. Instead, in the words of Elle Decor, those instructions translated into a home that is “bold, beautiful, and a tiny bit butch.”
If you, too, want a home–be it farmhouse or not–that can be described as such (I mean, who doesn’t want their house described as slightly butch?), here’s how to get the look.
- Chandelier – I scaled the size of this chandelier down compared to the one used in the farmhouse. I figure most of us don’t have soaring living room ceilings.
- Couch – A classic Chesterfield sofa brings in a traditional touch.
- Side table – The pedestal shape of this side table adds a bit of country flair.
- Coffee table – Definitely the magnum opus of this living room is the zebra
daybedcoffee table. I found a smaller version here. If you’d like a more muted version, check out this one.
- Chair – I’m totally digging the silhouette of this chair. It adds a little mid-century modern to the space and fits right in. See more options below.
- Kangaroo Print – This fun little print is a downloadable file. Pick the size you want, print it at Walgreens or Office Depot, and pop it in a frame. Viola.
- Throw – This brings the only pop of color to the otherwise muted space.
- Shelving unit – One of my favorite features of this room is how the art is mostly encased in the sprawling shelving units. It gives the space dimension.
- Pillow – Proof that blue and white (and tassels) work everywhere.
- Elephant – To place on top of the zebra.
- Dice – This fun decor adds to the rock-and-roll vibe of the space.
There are myriad options for blue side chairs. The style and type you chose has the potential to alter the entire feel of the space. Here are a few other options that would look killer in this living room.